Co-Announced by KPFA 94.1FM & KALX 90.7FM
UnderCover 50 Yr. Anniversary Tribute to The Beatles' 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band'
13 Bay Area Bands, Music Director: Joe Bagale
Sat, June 3, 2017
Doors: 7:00 pm / Show: 8:00 pm (event ends at 11:00 pm)The UC Theatre Taube Family Music Hall
$20.00 - $77.50
UnderCover has gathered 13 eclectic Bay Area ensembles to honor one of the most inspiring albums of all time.
1. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - Electric Squeezebox Orchestra
2. With a Little Help from My Friends - Jazz Mafia Accomplices
3. Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds - Raz Kennedy
4. Getting Better - Eyes on the Shore
5. Fixing a Hole - Amendola Vs. Blades
6. She's Leaving Home - Nino Moschella
7. Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite! - Rohan Krishnamurthy
8. Within You Without You - The Hogan Brothers
9. When I'm Sixty-Four - Sahba Aminikia
10. Lovely Rita – Kendra McKinley
11. Good Morning – Soltrón
12. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - Otis McDonald + Rohan Krishnamurthy + Non Stop Bhangra + Awesöme Orchestra Collective
13. A Day in the Life - Otis McDonald feat. Awesöme Orchestra
Though born in upstate New York, it's Joe’s tenure in San Francisco that has produced three albums under his name; a self-titled release in 2008, 2013's "Yesterday Once Again," and 2014’s "Movies," available for free exclusively through the YouTube audio library. The first two albums feature Joe's songwriting accompanied by his vocals, but on "Movies" Joe features his skills as an instrumentalist only. Following the success of his music on “Movies,” Joe was commissioned by YouTube to write and record 30 new tracks to be available in the YouTube audio library, which was the beginning of a new project he calls Otis McDonald. Playing all the instruments, writing, producing, mixing, and mastering 30 songs in a 3 month period, it proves to be his funkiest and most interesting music to date.
All of Bagale’s recordings are supported by hundreds of well-attended performances, teeming with enthusiasm and audience participation. Joe’s eclectic performance
credits includes sharing the stage with the likes of Stevie Wonder, Bob Weir and Mickey Hart(Grateful Dead), Fred Wesley(JBs), PeeWee Ellis(JBs), Roy Ayers, Zakir Houssain, Giovani Hildalgo, Dave Schools(Widespread Panic), Mike Gordon(Phish), Martin Luther(the Roots), Gift2Gab, Lyrics Born, DJ Qbert, and many many more. Joe was a cornerstone in the composition and performance of Brass, Bows, & Beats, a critically acclaimed hip hop symphony performed by the Bay Area's Jazz Mafia. BBB was invited to be performed in major jazz festivals around the world including Montreal, Monterey, Newport, San Francisco, and the Playboy Jazz Festival in Los Angeles.
Mr. Bagale lives by the philosophy that there are only two kinds of music; good music and bad music. For now, Joe continues to beat an indelible mark into the music world all while touching listener's hearts and minds and most likely reminding you to always bring your dancing shoes.
The UC Theatre Taube Family Music Hall
2036 University Avenue
near Downtown Berkeley BART
Berkeley, CA, 94704